Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog had norodine 80 tablets on 30th may 2014 after taking

My dog had norodine 80 tablets on 30th may 2014 after taking him to my local vet. She said it was an infection in the sheath possibly from a grass seed. Ive noticed this morning him licking again had a look and its pussy again. Can I get these tablets without going back to the vet can I do something myself, I do bathe it thats all. Or could it be something else.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome my name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Unfortunately this drug { Norodine } is a prescription only drug so there is not really any way you can buy it over the counter.

Scott Nimmo :

Some vets would be glad to prescribe another course without seeing the dog under the circumstances, but this is down to the discretion of the vet in charge of the case.

Customer:

Is there thing I can do at home

Scott Nimmo :

The good thing is that this sort of thing is rarely too serious and you may be able to handle the situation by gently rolling back his foreskin and washing his penis with lots of soap and water. Do this twice a day for three or four days, these infections very often are just a hygiene issue ...

Scott Nimmo :

In any case that should get your through until your vet opens again for normal hours consultations.

Customer:

Thank you I'll do that

Scott Nimmo :

For such cases I often used dilute Hibiscrub which is an antibacterial wash instead of soap and water, use about a 1: 4 dilution with water. You may be able to get that over the counter { or it's equivalent } at a chemist.

Scott Nimmo :

The key to resolving this through washing is to roll his foreskin back as far as you can { gently } so that no pockets of contaminated material and debris are left.

Scott Nimmo :

I often managed to successfully manage such cases with Hibiscrub alone.

Customer:

Yes perhaps there is still something there still causing the problem. How do you feel about aromatherapy oils in the water,

Scott Nimmo :

I would avoid them in such a delicate area, on intact skin they are usually fine but they may cause irritation on this area.

Customer:

Thankyou for your help. Goodbye.

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, very glad to have advised you, get back to me if I can help you further, regards, Scott