Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

hi my dog is 13years old hes a staffie labrador and im coming

Customer Question

hi my dog is 13years old hes a staffie labrador and im coming down nearly every morning to vomit which has food in from previous day and soft poop but not runny I have starved him for 24hrs like my vets said but it has not helped
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Oh you poor thing (both of you!). Yes, this does indicate an issue. Unfortunately vomit and loose stool (even once daily) are not specific to indicate any one particular problem. This could be cause from intestinal parasites or an item trapped in the digestive tract (foreign object) or an organ issue (liver, kidney) or pancreatitis or inflammatory bowel disease or intestinal cancer and the list continues.

Dr. Joey :

I never understood the concept of starving a poor dog for 12 to 24 hours. Newer information is that this rarely helps. Did he get any medication from his veterinarian? (sounds like not)

The next diagnostic step with his veterinarian (or a second opinion veterinarian) is for him to have some lab testing that might include a stool sample (take one with you), Complete blood count, chemistry profile with electrolytes and urinalysis. If these are normal, then I would highly advocate xrays at his age to search for foreign objects versus a tumor.

Alternatively, you could discuss medication with his veterinarian. At home this weekend I do have a few suggestions you can try, if you would prefer.

Dr. Joey :

At home I might recommend you try the following if he was my patient:

1) Start feeding him! But offer a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. If you do not have chicken you can substitute cottage cheese or boiled ground beef.

2) Give famotidine 10mg at 1 tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any people pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Kaolin-pectate liquid: Give 3 to 4 ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea (Or the tablets are often easier and you can give half a tab every 8 hours). This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

4) Start him on a probiotic supplement. If you cannot find one specifically for dogs (at the petstore or from your vet) then use plain yogurt at 1 to 2 Tablespoonfuls once daily.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou for your suggestions I have not been to a vet as of yet as it is sunday and they charge extra for weekends but I will take him first thing in the morning as he does seem to howl ect too so something must b bothering him thanks again

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
You are certainly welcome. Please keep me posted and let me know if you have any questions after your veterinary visit.

Take care.