Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a focus de bordeau and she gave birth nearly

Customer Question

I have a focus de bordeau and she gave birth nearly 3 weeks ago and we would like to know wether it is safe or not to give her antihistamine (piriton e.t.c).she hasn't got fleas but is constantly scratting.she has had piriton in the past as she sometimes suffers a mild skin condition. Example stress dry patches which become bald and sore.I havnt really noticed any of these just a tiny marking of it on her back.plus her back end just above her tail always drives her crazy.she is currently feeding a litter of 2. Also not sure if its around the feeding area that she has been itching recently.wether they ha e also become itchy and sensitive around the nipples? We would be very grateful on wether or not there is anything we can give her for the itching discomfort.kind regards ***** ***** XXXXXXX

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Unfortunately, most antihistamines are excreted into the breast milk in small amounts. In humans, their use is not recommended in nursing mothers due to possible hyperactivity/irritability in infants. :(

Dr. Joey :

Probably the safest is for us to focus on trying to get rid of these fleas! The absolute safest is t use a flea comb to get rid of the fleas (comb and then any fleas obtained you dip the comb into a container that has water with dish detergent to trap the fleas. Alternatively, you can safely use the oral medication called Capstar (which you get from your veterinarian; active ingredient is nitenpyram); this works only for 24 hours but you could give once daily for several days in a row and work on treating the environment OR use a fipronil-containing product in nursing dams. Our only concern is exposure of the pups to the topical but it is generally a fairly safe product. If you do bathe her, you have to wait 24-48 hours before you use a topical.

Dr. Joey :

For the environment they live I do not advocate any sprays or chemicals. Instead do a good clean/vacuum every 3 days. If there are carpeted areas then you can treat these safely with boric acid laundry detergent by sprinkling the dry detergent over the carpet and then workng into the fibers with a broom. Leave down for 24 hours and then vacuum up; safe for the dam and puppies to walk on. For the yard, I recommend search for a sprinkle granule that has the active ingredient of imidicloprid as you could find at your local hardware or lawn store. Follow directions on the package, but this is generally safe for dogs of all ages after properly applied.

Dr. Joey :

If she is having discomfort of the nipples from nursing, you can very safely apply a petroleum jelly product once or twice daily. If any of the nipples look quite abnormal (dark color, abnormally swollen or crusty) or having discharge other than milk, then she needs to be seen right away by her veterinarian out of concern she could have mastitis.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know your questions.

Dr. Joey :

All the flea products listed above are for the dam, not the puppies. There is nothing you can apply or give to puppies at this age; only flea comb puppies.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know you have received my replies above, and if there are further questions you might have.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
The system is telling me that you submitted a reply, but I cannot see your reply. If you could, please submit this again. I apologize for the inconvenience.