Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

does lime sulfur dip help dogs with atopy thanks

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup is suffering with atopy.

Lime sulfur dip can be used to treat ringworm (a fungal infection) and malassezia (a common skin yeast) as well as mites such as cheyletiella, sarcoptic and demodex, and lice. It has antibacterial properties as well so it can help some dogs with chronic yeast and skin infections.

It does not help with atopy per se because atopy is the body's over-reaction to inhaled allergens, and it won't change the reaction. What it may do is help to decrease the secondary infections (yeast and bacterial) that dogs with atopy often suffer from due to their chronic licking and scratching. These secondary infections often make them even more itchy, thus if we control them the dog may be more comfortable, though the primary inhaled allergy won't be changed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.