Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My West Highland white terrier is frequently sick early in

Customer Question

My West Highland white terrier is frequently sick early in the morning. He brings up a bright yellow bile looking substance. Should I be worried about this? He also is constantly sneezing at the moment which I assume must be a form of hay fever, perhaps you could advise if there is anything I can do to help him.

Your help is appreciated.

J Payne
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is he vomiting?
2- Any nasal discharge?
3- Any coughing?
4- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was vomiting roughly once every 10 days so I wasn't too concerned but he has done it the two mornings which is more worrying. There is no nasal discharge and no coughing, only sneezing at the moment.He weighs 8.6kgs. He has also once or twice brought his whole meal up about 20 to 30 minutes after eating it but I'm pretty sure it is because I gave him too much, this rarely happens.

I look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jennifer, there are many possible causes for vomiting. The fact that it happens only in the morning we need to suspect Bilious Vomiting; we don't know exactly why this happens but we believe it is related to the stomach being empty and the acid in the stomach causes irritation and the patient vomits. It is also important to rule out intestinal parasites being Bobby is a young dog. This is what you can do:

1- Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet at the bed time. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy. You can also give him a bed time snack.
2- Consider getting him dewormed. Pick up Panacur (fenbendazole) from your vet's office, online or local pet store. Give it once a day at label dose for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks.
3- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks I shall try what you suggest.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Jennifer.