Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

Can I use a furminator on a 3 month old pup

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
Yes, absolutely. There is no reason whatsoever, I can think of, for it's use not to be perfectly safe. I've long used this tool on my own dogs, and it is an excellent and completely safe product which I have highly recommended to my clients for many years. If you should have further questions, i'll be more than happy to answer them.
Best regards, *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How often can I use it? Secondly . Do u think I should give them any hip and joint supplements ? They don't have any problems with hips or joints at the moment
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, Hiren. Now that's a very good question! I would suggest not using it more than once weekly. One of my client used it every day on her persian cat and it ended up looking almost bald. There is definitely such a thing as too much of a good thing. It won't hurt them, but it could cause excessive thinning of the hair coat. hip and joint supplements are in a class of products called "nutriceuticals" and while not at all harmful to the average dog, unless they would happen to be allergic to one or more of their ingredients, don't have any known effects on the developing hip or other joints. That's not to say that at some point in the future some beneficial (or detrimental!)effects might not be discovered, but at this time, neither is known to occur.
If they were my pups, I would simply feed them an excellent quality dog food without any added vitamins,minerals or nutriceuticals. The hip and joint supplements do seem to have beneficial effects on dogs afflicted with problems in these areas, but not on their development. If I may be of any further assistance, please let me know.
Kind regards, *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! Last question. How often can I bathe the pups? It's quite humid and hot all yr round. Also is it safe to use the pet head dry shampoo? I have been told that bathing dries their coat. Will that happen with the dry shampoo? Too.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello Hiren. I don't recommend using any shampoo too often, since not only do they tend to dry out the skin and coat, but also change the pH and bacterial population of the skin, and even the dry forms of shampoo can do this. When a chemical is applied to the skin, the normal healthy bacterial coating is damaged, and bad bacteria tend to grow faster than good, so skin infections may occur. The resulting bad odor often causes owners to shampoo them even more frequently, thus perpetuating the cycle. Once every three months with a gentle good quality dog shampoo (human shampoos, even baby shampoo, are too harsh)is often enough. If they should start to smell bad between shampoos, you can safely wet them with lukewarm water, work baking soda into their fur, rinsing thoroughly afterward. Dogs should not smell the same as people, but they shouldn't be offensive in their odor, either. A happy medium must be sought. Please let me know if I may be of further help.
Best regards, *****
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine