Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We are very concerned about the treatment our dog is getting

Customer Question

We are very concerned about the treatment our dog is getting here in rural Italy. In January we thought that she had mange (we many wild foxes on our land) and treated her with something we purchased online. Although this seemed to help it did not stop her scratching so we took her to our local vet. Having explained the situation he said he did not agree with us and gave her antibiotics and cortisone. As soon as the cortisone stopped she started scratching again. We then went to a different vet who has more equipment. She did a skin scrape and a blood test. These were OK and she thought the dog was allergic. We then started her on Royal Canine Hypoallergenic food (very expensive) plus another course of cortisone and antibiotics. Again when the cortisone stopped she started scratching. Before returning to the vet again we waited until the crusty bits reappeared on the ear and back of the elbow joint. This time she agreed it was mange and gave her an injection plus more cortisone and antibiotics. Once again, when the cortisone stopped, she started to scratch a bit. We took her back for another injection plus an injection of antibiotics - despite saying that we didn't want her to have yet more cortisone and antibiotics. I looked at the bottle from which the first injection came and it said noromectin. When I looked this up online it says that it is for cattle, sheep and pigs. I have tried to contact the manufacturer twice but am getting no response. Can you tell me whether this is safe for dogs and, if so, how much a dog weighing 30kg (she was 28kg before all the cortisone) should be having? We have looked online and it says that we need ivermectin but I cannot get this online without a prescription. We have now started the dog on a special diet of fresh raw meat and vegetables with rice or pasta to try and rebuild her immune system after all these drugs. Are we correct to do this? I look forward to hearing from you. My email address is: *****@******.***
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Brti ( or is it Brit?).

My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Noromectin is a brand name for ivermectin. It is for cattle, sheep, and pigs but there is no form of ivermectin labeled for use in dogs to treat things like mange. http://www.jefferspet.com/noromectin-injection/camid/liv/cp/0040205/

If this is mange, they should be finding mites in the hair follicles when they do skin scrapings. If she has sarcoptic mange from foxes, it can be hard to find the mites.

If she does have this kind of mange, she should get .9 ml (or cc) of the Noromectin by mouth, once every 7 to 10 days. Usually it takes about three weekly treatments to work.

There is a heartworm product, applied topically, called "Revolution" that contains selamectin that is also supposed to be effective. I don't know if you can get it in Italy.

If she has a different kind of mange, called demodectic mange, the treatment would be very different: daily for weeks or even months. But it would be rare to see demodectic mange in a 7 year old dog; it is usually puppies.

Sorry I can't email you; the website blocks out your email address when they post questions for us experts.

Let me know if I can answer anything else. I hope you get this under control soon; sarcoptic mange does make a dog extremely itchy and uncomfortable. The only thing I know that controls the itch is getting rid of the mites, and using steroids. Antihistamines won't help.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Rebecca

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If they do not have the oral type here is the injection OK if we get her a 3rd one? Also, are we right to try an rebuild her immune system after all these drugs and, if so, are we going about it the right way?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you give the injectable by mouth; sorry I was not clear. It appears to be more effective if given orally (it tastes terrible) than by injection.

A good diet is always a good way to boost the immune system. Giving anti oxidants (vitamins A, C and E as well as glutamine, SAMe and others) may also help. You could get an anti oxidant formula vitamin for people, and give her 1/4 a day.

Fish oil (source of Omega 3 essential fatty acids) would be good to boost immunity, and it will also have some anti inflammatory effects to help with the itching.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Rebecca

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much Rebecca. We have already got some multi vitamins for dogs and she is also getting some omega 3 fish oil which I take myself - both from Healthscan online. We will go ahead with the 3rd boost and hope that it works.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I hope it does! I will be checking back with you.

Thank you for a great rating!

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By the way - her name is Britza. Goodness only knows what I was doing in my first message!!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
That sounds better!