Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my dog appears to have what I would call an ulcer on his gum

Customer Question

my dog appears to have what I would call an ulcer on his gum in the middle of the right side of his gum is there any treatment I can give him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Cary.

Rebecca :

My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

How big is the ulcer? Is it bleeding?

Rebecca :

Is it above or below one of his teeth?

Rebecca :

An ulcer on the gums can be caused by different things. If there is an infection of a tooth root, you could see a hole in the gum above (or below if it is a bottom tooth) the tooth, where the root is.

Rebecca :

If it is a tooth, antibiotics will help temporarily, but only a root canal or tooth extraction will clear up the problem.

Rebecca :

Ulcer in the mouth can also be a sign of internal disease, such as kidney disease.

Customer:

about quarter inch on the gum inbetween his middle teeth

Rebecca :

The middle teeth, in front? Could you possibly send a picture?

Rebecca :

Could you possibly send a picture?

Rebecca :

In addition to being an infection from a bad tooth, or kidney disease, one concern is cancer of the gums.

Rebecca :

Have you had a veterinarian look at this?

Rebecca :

How long has it been there?

Customer:

sorry dont know how to send pic.it is on the right side of his mouth going towards the back it is a small red crater the white that was in middle of it has gone now

Rebecca :

This may be something minor, that will heal on its own. If he was chewing on something and cut the gums with a stick or a bone, it will heal. Usually sores in the mouth heal very quickly.

Rebecca :

But if it does not go away on its own in a few days to a week, I would have it checked by a veterinarian, to be sure it is not a tooth root infection.

Customer:

not yet money tight i noticed it about 6 days ago it is not stopping him eating

Rebecca :

It is hard to say what it is, without being able to see and touch it. If it is filling in ( the white in the middle going away), I would just watch and see if it continues to fill in and shrink.

Rebecca :

If it does not go away, or if it enlarges, it should be checked out before it gets too big.

Customer:

thank you rebecca

Rebecca :

Worst case, if it is a tumor ( unlikely but possible) the longer you wait the worse it could be. If it is from a tooth, it can wait if he is eating.

Rebecca :

you are welcome.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for a good rating!

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the bonus; much appreciated.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca took Cary to vet he is being treated with antibiotics at present back to vets on 14 July .Thanks for your advice Alana.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Alana,
You are welcome! I hope he is better soon.

Rebecca