Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

med interactions

Customer Question

can my dog take robenacoxib and metacam at the same time? She has just been spayed yesterday and is on robenacoxib from the vets but it doesnt seem to be managing her pain, she is just crying and crying. I have checked her wound and it is not puffy or red so I dont think there is a problem other than pain control....

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Robenacoxib and meloxicam (Metacam) are in the same class of nonsteroidal antiflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and so administering them concomitantly shouldn't result in any more pain relief than simply increasing the dose of the robenacoxib. However, neither increasing the dose of robenacoxib or administering the two concomitantly is appropriate. You risk causing gastrointestinal ulceration and kidney damage. The proper manner in which to address Molly's pain is to ask her vet to prescribe the narcotic analgesic tramadol which can be administered concomitantly with Molly's robenacoxib or alone.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Your advice was perfect. I will get the vets to prescribe something stornger when I go back tomorrow if she is still exhibiting signs that she is very uncomfortable. She seems to be a bit better this afternoon and now that the robenacoxib is working. This morning when I wrote my question she was lying there making pitiful noises and seemed really distressed, but shes a lot calmer now and was after about 40 minutes of administering the tablet. I suspected that they were both in the same class of tablets but coundnt find definitive answers to my question til I found this site. Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me. Lucy x

You're quite welcome.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Lucy, please?