Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog was fine this morning,went for her normal walk,bowels

Customer Question

My dog was fine this morning,went for her normal walk,bowels opened everything fine. Ate most of breakfast.
Came home lunch time vomit all over door mat lots of solid matter.
Keeps laying around crying off and on did nt want to go for lunch time walk.
Felt around her body no reaction (other than wagging tail)
She 11year old cocker
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that many vets - including myself - couldn't be as specific for you as you would like. Acute vomiting as you've described has too many etiologies to list in this venue. Those etiologies include everything from a simple dietary indiscretion - licking or ingesting something inappropriate, spoiled, or perhaps a non-food item - to a serious internal medical disorder such as pancreatitis or hepatitis.

In otherwise stable dogs, the proper manner in which to proceed is to fast our patient for a minimum of 12 hours. Water is left down unless drinking induces more vomiting and if that's the case, ice cubes should replace Meehan's drinking water. Simple vomiting most often remisses unaided within 36 hours. If not, feeding and medicating orally shouldn't be attempted. Parenteral (any manner except oral) adminstration of drugs is performed in hospital and diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, and imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound are considered.

Please respond with an update on Meehan. I'm hopeful that she has already normalized.