Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

Why has my labrador started crying with one of its t

Customer Question

Why has my bitch labrador started crying with one of its toys?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. One thought that I have right away is that she may be having a pseudopregnancy. All dogs hormonally have a false pregnancy in the 2 months or so following their estrus, but some dogs will actually have symptoms of this false pregnancy. . .lactate, nest, and mother toys. If Mollie is unspayed and was in heat within the past 2 1/2 to 3 months, this may be what is going on.

Dr. Barbara :

Is this possible?

Customer:

I cant be sure, but she might have been in season 2 to 3 months ago. She has cried before but not as bad as today. I assumed it was a phantom pregancy thing.

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your response. It probably is pseudopregnancy which as I discussed above can include varying symptoms and degrees of symptoms. Does Mollie have any other symptoms (not just of pseudopregnancy, but this too), like vomiting and diarrhea, loss of appetite, drinking increased amounts of water and urinating excessively?

Dr. Barbara :

Any vaginal discharge?

Customer:

None of those at all at present. She's asleep in the chair at the moment, but her toy is underneath her. At her age will it get worse?

Dr. Barbara :

I'm glad she seems fine at the moment. The pseudopregnancy symptoms won't necessarily grow worse, but there is a good chance unfortunately that she could get a uterine infection called pyometra. This would be best treated with an ovariohysterectomy since the uterus accumulates pus and doesn't drain well. . .especially as dogs get older. My recommendation would be to have her spayed now since she is pretty old to have a healthy pregnancy. In fact, that was my concern for her now. . .a uterine infection.

Dr. Barbara :

Of course, before any surgery, she should have a complete blood profile and a urinalysis as well as a thorough physical exam to make sure all of her organs are functioning normally.

Customer:

Thank you Ill speak to my vet

Hi Ian,
Since Mollie doesn't actually seem sick, then she probably doesn't have any infection, but just the pseudopregnancy. Of course, if she starts acting ill in anyway, your vet there will need to see her as I do caution you about the pyometra.
Thank you very much for your kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!
Best of luck to you both,
Dr. Barbara