Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My12 year old Labrador Lucy cant jump up to get in the back

Customer Question

My12 year old Labrador Lucy cant jump up to get in the back of my car anymore, she tries but cant seem to do it, someone gave me a ramp but she seems scared of it and will not go near it, also I have tried to get her to get on the back seat which is lower than the rear of the car but she will have nothing to do with it she has got a bit of arthritis in her back legs and is too heavy to be lifted in ,any ideas ?. James XXXXXXx *****@******.***

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Hello James, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Lucy hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Is she currently taking any drugs or supplements? If so, can you tell me what they are?
2. How much does she weigh?
3. Is she showing signs of losing muscle tone in her back legs?
4. Any lameness or just stiffness?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb