Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My border collie as a bald patch on the back where she as been

Customer Question

My border collie as a bald patch on the back where she as been biting it due to flaking shin and it feels warm to the touch
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual for this breed to start licking at an area that has irritated them like this lesion on Bella's back and as they lick this, it becomes even more irritated causing her to lick and chew more and so on. You will have to break this cycle:

1. Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce the irritation in case this is an allergic reaction.

2. Apply Betadine to this area. This will dry out this area so the bacteria cannot grow and will break this cycle. Repeat this daily for 7-10 days. All of these can be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.

3. If this is not enough, purchase an Elizabethan Collar at the pet store that will keep Bella from licking this area. Also, there are products such as Bitter Apple that can be applied to stop this licking available at the pet store.

If this does not work, there still may be a foreign body within this area that your vet will have to examine.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you so much, Ken, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Bella feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!