Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

female lab 14 months old in 2nd season tried to several

female lab 14 months old in 2nd season tried to pee several times to no avail when it did traces of blood in it eating drinking as normal
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. When dogs have bleeding and inflammation in the urinary tract it is not uncommon to have straining to pass urine and increased frequency in attempts to pass urine even if only a few drops are present.

There are many reasons to have blood in the urine.
We often think of infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses in the urinary tract or clotting disorders are possible causes.
Since Layla is in season it is possible the blood is from her reproductive tract from a mass or infection, but we don't generally see straining with that.

Are her gums and tongue white, pale pink or bubble gum pink? If they are nice and pink then she likely hasn't lost enough blood to make her anemic.

Is she bleeding only when she passes urine (is she constantly straining and dribbling urine) or does the bleeding seem independent of passing urine?

If the bleeding is only when she passes urine then concerns would be a urinary tract infection, crystals or stones in her urinary tract, a clotting abnormality or a mass in her urinary tract.

If the bleeding is independent of her passing urine the concerns would be trauma, a reproductive tract mass or infection, or a clotting abnormality.

If she were my patient I'd start with a urinalysis with culture and radiographs of her abdomen to look at her kidneys and bladder for signs of stones or a mass.
If she had pale gums signifying significant blood loss then I would want to check her clotting function too.

If money was very tight and there were signs of infection on the urinalysis then an antibiotic prescription for at least 10 days would be reasonable to start.
But if I saw lots of crystals or abnormal looking cells on the urinalysis I'd warn the owner that things may be more serious.
And I'd recommend a recheck of her urine at the end of the antibiotic therapy. If there was still blood then radiographs or an ultrasound of her bladder/kidneys is needed.

If she is eating and drinking well, has nice pink gums and is able to pass urine this isn't an emergency but I do recommend that she be seen by her veterinarian as soon as possible (tomorrow is fine).

All you can do for her at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out her urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to her food or feed her canned food.
Give her ice cubes. Offer her fresh water frequently.

And make sure she gets out frequently to urinate.

If she is straining but unable to pass any urine at all for more then a short period of time, is vomiting or refuses to eat, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or her gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care.

Let me know if you have any further questions.