Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who has been diagnosed

Customer Question

I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who has been diagnosed with suspected pancreatitis. She has been unwell since Tues eve and spent 2 nights in the animal hospital on a drip. She is drinking but not eating, and spends all day sleeping. She has been sniffing underneath herself and constantly lies flat out on her stomach. We are waiting results of a blood test and she has been prescribed Tramadol and Famotidine. I am very concerned that there could be more going on here, as I have never seen her so unwell for so long. Does this sound like the symptoms of Pancreatitis and would it help to have an ultrasound?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Yes, anorexia and her posturing - which suggests her attempting to alleviate abdominal discomfort - is consistent with pancreatitis but not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of pancreatitis. The specCPL is the blood test of choice when attempting to confirm the presence of pancreatitis and I suspect that this is the blood test on which you're waiting results.. An ultrasound can directly visualize an inflamed pancreas and so the two diagnostics are often used concomitantly. I would likely waive an ultrasound if the specCPL came back highly positive. Equivocal results should prompt ultrasound.

For now it would be prudent to continue her medications but also force feed a very low fat diet made into a gruel and which could be syringed into Maisie. These diets are available through her vet or I can provide a home-cooked recipe if you'd like.