Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Ive found 2 lumps each side of my labs abdomen, and his fur

I've found 2 lumps each side of my labs abdomen, and his fur has started to come out in clumps, he's 10 years old. I would be greatful for any advice . thankyou
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Beau.
First, the hair clumps. This ca be quite common at this age, and often, can be exacerbated by underlying endocrine conditions like Cushing's, or very commonly, hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone). So, a basic blood test, including a thyroid level is well worthwhile.

What about the lumps. Well, I would start with a vet exam so they can feel and see these growths. Sometimes, if squishy, moveable, non-painful, they can suggest benign lipomas (fatty tumors). But, if not, and the vet is unsure, they may recommend, initially, a simple fine needle aspirate test.

Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy