Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Our westie is 12 he has an ear infection,we have been doing

Customer Question

Our westie is 12 he has an ear infection,we have been doing the ear wash and drops since thur,he is very giddy on his legs and had not eaten since fri and has not had a poo,he was fine before this treatment started,what should I do .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There is a chance that Jack now has an inner ear infection that is causing him to have trouble with his legs and is causing him pain. With this, he may require a systemic antibiotic from your vet. In the meantime, it is important that you give Jack supportive care which includes Pedialyte 2-4 ounces every 4-6 hrs and Nutrical given every 4 hrs. This can be purchased at the pet store and will give Jack the nutrients he needs to get past this. This is also an appetite stimulant and may help Jack start eating.

There is a chance also that Jack has arthritis and it is coming out now due to moving the wrong way because of the ear infection. This will respond well to aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This can only be given, However, if Jack is eating or has something in his stomach.

If he does not respond to these treatments, have your vet recheck Jack since it may be that he is reacting to the medication for his ear.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you so much, Val, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Jack feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!