Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog cant sit still she keeps jumping with her tail between

Customer Question

My dog can't sit still she keeps jumping with her tail between her legs and looking at her backend as if something is bothering her. I have just bathed her in bob martens flea shampoo as I did see one on her but it hasn't made any difference.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that many vets - as am I - were puzzled by Jessie's history. Her restlessness and history of fleas suggests a flea saliva allergy. One flea that bites twice can incite a very pruritic (itchy) allergy to the saliva of the flea and this itchiness can be more severe a day or two after all fleas have been eliminated. A short course of an antihistaminic glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone will do wonders for these dogs.

However, there appears to be a history of gastrointestinal ulceration. This isn't likely to be related to her behavior but it would preclude the use of prednisone because that drug can be ulcerogenic. Rigorous flea control, then, would be the most prudent manner in which to proceed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Jessie, please?