Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
33084435

MY dog has Arthritis and i give him Loxicon, it says if brings

Customer Question

MY dog has Arthritis and i give him Loxicon, it says if brings loose stools to stop the medicine, Three days ago he had very loose stools so i stopped his medicine.
But today he had normal bowel movement.
The medicine giving by syringe type tube, Markings on the tube have numbers 10 to 70+ kg. I am not sure what measure i should give him. he is a smallish dog mixed breed.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Tip.

Dr. Bruce :

Loxicom is the brand name for meloxicam. This is a commonly used Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).

Dr. Bruce :

The medication is dosed by weight. It is necessary to know how much your dog weighs to be able to properly treat him.

Dr. Bruce :

I would suggest weighing Tip so that you can make sure to give him an effective dose, without overdosing him. The numbers on the syringe indicate how much to give based on his weight.

Dr. Bruce :

I would recommend talking to your vet about other options to treat the arthritis besides using an NSAID. I would ask your vet about adding glucosamine/chondroitin as a joint supplement. This is typically given daily for the rest of his life to help maintain joint health. Glucosamine can be given with an NSAID.

Dr. Bruce :

I would also ask your vet about adequan. This is a different joint supplement that is given as an injection. Typically, the injection is given twice per week for 4 weeks for a total of 8 shots initially. Thereafter, the adequan is given every 1-2 months as needed.

Dr. Bruce :

Ask your vet about other pain medications that can be given along with the NSAID, such as tramadol (called Ultram in the US, zydol or zamadol in UK)

Dr. Bruce :

By the way, do not give the loxicom more than once per 24 hour period. Giving more will not give more pain relief. It will only increase the chance of a side effect or complication.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that Tip is doing better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.