Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi, my dog vomited undigested food late last night & kept needing

Hi, my dog vomited undigested food late last night & kept needing to go outside for the toilet. This morning he has vomited white frothy stuff. Also he keeps trying to urinate, but only a few drops come out & when he tries to poop, there is now a few drops of what looks like water coming from his bottom! If it wasn't a Sunday I'd take him straight to the vet but they aren't open until tomorrow.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Is he trying to urinate frequently?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. He's not eaten anything strange that know of, but my mother had ant powder down in her porch yesterday which he briefly passed but i had him on he lead so he didnt lick it, but i am wondering if he may have breathed that in?

yes he is trying to uranate freqently. He weighs about15kg (staffy cross) No pre existing medcal conditions.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jackie, the liquid you are seeing coming out of the rectum is most likely mucus which is produced when there is inflammation in the colon (large intestine). The vomiting is simply a consequence of the inflammation. My main concern with the symptoms that you are describing is that he is not able to urinate and only dribbles small amounts. This is a concern because in a male dog it suggest the possibility of a stone blocking the outflow of urine in the urethra (tube connecting bladder to penis). When there is a blockage it is actual an emergency as it can lead to bladder rupture even kidney failure. For this reason I would strongly recommend trying to find an ER vet in your area to have him checked today. If he has a stone blocking the outflow of urine ER vet will pass a catheter through his penis to allow him to urinate. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- Remove the food and water. Do not give any water until he is seen by a veterinarian today; minimize all physical activity.
3- Once he is able to urinate vet will either start him on IV fluids or begin to offer a small amount of water. In addition, change diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal. Then, wean back into normal diet over a period of 1 week.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.