Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My three year old Golden Retriever has been treated with Panacur

My three year old Golden Retriever has been treated with Panacur and Pro-Kolin after having Diarrhoea for four days. He has been on a bland diet, chicken or fish and rice and has no other symptoms. Now he has not passed anything at all for 48 hours. Should I be concerned please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bailey.
Well, I am not happy there has been no bowel movement, but my level of concern would only start at about 72 hours of not defecating yet eating okay.

As long as he is eating, doesn't appear to be painful or tender in the belly, and not "straining" or repeatedly trying to defecate, you could closely monitor for another 12-24 hours at most.

I will pray for a speedy recovery. Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** keep him on a bland diet?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Yes, suzanne.
I would continue this diet until really back on track and normal defecation, than work with your vet about what diet you should switch to. Also, when you change, always wean on to a new diet over about 3-5 days.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy