Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a highland terrier he is 12yrs old he is panting quite

Customer Question

I have a highland terrier he is 12yrs old he is panting quite rapidly has not eaten for two days and has nt slept much he has not passed a stool in two days can you help please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Jasper. It doesn't sound as if his vet performed any testing in order to determine why he's tachypneic (increased respiratory rate/panting) and anorexic. His jabs, then, represent symptomatic treatment but don't tell you or me what's underlying those symptoms. At 12 years of age, it's essential to not only perform a thorough physical exam but blood and urine tests and X-rays of any patient such as he.

Jasper's symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. I regret that it's impossible for me to know how to help him without more information gleaned by testing him as mentioned above. Panting can be a sign of pain, an indication of heart or respiratory disease, and can be found secondary to a wide range of internal medical diseases. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael

Took Jasper to the vets again this morning, had another two jabs, brought him home, but unfortunately he passed away this afternoon, so so sad. He didn't seem to be in any pain when examined, so he is now peacefully asleep with the angels, buried in the baack garden with a lovely cross and flowers. Thanks for your advice.

Marlyn

Oh my. My condolences for your loss of Jasper. I appreciate your letting me know.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.