Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my one year old cav king Charles was spayed about 9 weeks ago

Customer Question

my one year old cav king Charles was spayed about 9 weeks ago and now she has a mammary mass about 3 cm, I have been to the vet today and he recommends we check her again in two weeks to see if if reduces in size. She did have one about two weeks ago on another breast but it disappeared. Could this be something other than cancer

Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Molly.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

It would be very unusual for a dog this young to have cancer in a mammary gland. This could be a cyst, or an enlargement called "mammary hyperplasia" that usually will go away on its own, especially now that she is spayed.

Rebecca :

You can have a test, called "FNA" for fine needle aspirate, done to find out what this mass is. A small needle is inserted into the mass to extract cells, the cells are put on a microscope slide, and examined either in your vet's office or sent out to your vet's lab to be checked. This should tell you what this mass is

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing! I am not seeing responses from you.

Rebecca :

I will try to connect with you another way, if I do not hear from you soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Keith,
I hope you now see what I am saying.

3 cm is large, but she is so young this is almost certainly benign. However, having the FNA done should alleviate your concerns, and tell you exactly what this mass is.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I was away from my computer

So if my vet decides to operate first would it be a good idea to suggest the F.N.A first

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is what I would do.

FNA would tell me what it is ( and that leaving it alone might be alright), and will also tell me that if it is cancer to take "wide margins" when I do surgery, or whether just a "lumpectomy" is called for.

She is so young; I am sure this can't be cancer. An FNA should set your mind at rest.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for a good rating!

Rebecca