Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I have a 16 year old collie who has cancer & severe arthritis.

I have a 16 year old collie who has cancer & severe arthritis. He is on provicox and tramadol. He is currently on 2 x 50mg tramadol tablets twice per day, breakfast & tea time but he is struggling by mid afternoon and middle of the night. Can I give him one tramadol tablet 4 x per day? What is the maximum number of tramadol tablets he is allowed per day?
Please help - my vets won't return my calls!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. I'm very sorry to hear about Teddy's situation. It is hard when a loved one has the problems he is having. Can you give me an idea how much he weighs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oops sorry forgot to include that! 26.6kg

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Don't worry about that Sam. You have a lot on your mind with taking care of Teddy. When I'm using tramadol for pain management in a dog that is 26 kg, I will have it dosed as two 50 mg tablets orally every 8 to 12 hours. This is about a 4 mg / kg dosing range. It is a pretty safe medication and there are others that will use this dose every 6 hours and dose it up to 5 to 6 mg / kg. When I have situations where a patient is being controlled for cancer pain, I will push the upper end of the dosing and frequency as the main goal at that time is to purely control pain as much as possible. Here is a good link on Tramadol.

http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/8j0cv-dog-ruptured-gland-when-less-year.html
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So maximum tablets he could have when he deteriorates more is 6mg x 26kg = 156 so 3 x 50mg tablets every 6 hours?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Here is actually a quote from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Formulary.

"Current dosing recommendations for dogs are 5 mg/kg PO q6–8h and up to 10 mg/kg PO q6–8h in non-responsive dogs. The efficacy of these dosages has not been evaluated. It is important to remember that maximum analgesic effects may not occur immediately and may be delayed up to 14 days for chronic pain conditions such as cancer and degenerative joint disease. (KuKanich 2010)"