Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My god is 6 month cavalier king Charles spaniel just eat raw

My god is 6 month cavalier king Charles spaniel just eat raw peice of salmon what should i do ?? Plzz help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about Prince eating a piece of raw salmon.

If it was bought at a store, human food grade salmon, not spoiled and a relatively small piece I would not do anything. He may have some loose stools or mild stomach upset/nausea from eating something unusual, but in many cases we see no side effects whatsoever.

If the fish was spoiled, or he ate a very large piece and he has a sensitive stomach then you may want to induce vomiting.

You can give him 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 4.5 kilograms of body weight soaked up with bread chunks (no more than 3 tablespoons even if she weighs more than 15 kilos).
Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.
If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the piece is present.

To try and settle his stomach today after vomiting up the fish you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilos of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilos of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach.
Then feed a homemade diet for a few days of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much am going to vet now also thx again
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. Please let me know how things go for your pup.