Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 18 month yorkshire terrier is always licking and biting

My 18 month yorkshire terrier is always licking and biting he's paws i can't see any reason for him doing this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are the paws red or sore?
2- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Paws do not look that saw but my groomer did say they looked a little sore when she cut his nails.

Not sure i would say about between 8-10 pounds maybe a little less

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Gloria, one of the most common causes for excessive licking/gnawing of the paws in dogs is an underlying allergy (food or environmental). This is typically one of the first symptoms seen with an allergy.
As far as treatment, I usually recommend to start by doing a food trial for 6-8 weeks. This is what you can do:

1- Change the diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what he normally has had in the past. For example: If he seldom ate fish then put him on a food that has fish. The idea is to avoid what he has eaten in the past. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement. As far as treats, you can give veggies like broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower, etc.

2- Start him on an antihistamine. You can pick this up over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Use one of the following:
a) Chlorpheniramine 2mg every 12 hours.
b) Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5mg every 24 hours.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

4- If after doing the above there is no improvement follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter