Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Can dogs get hayfever, my shizui is one year old and went in

Can dogs get hayfever, my shizui is one year old and went in a field that had just been cut last thursday and has not stopped sneezing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?
2- Any nasal discharge?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

4.50 kg, no nasal discharge, when he sneezes its just a wet spray but quite violent and lasts for about a minute. I am worried it might be a grass seed up his nose.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jackie, in response to your question, yes dogs can get seasonal allergies. And, it is also possible the sneezing could also be secondary to a foreign body up his nostril like grass; you are right. This is what you can do:

1- Start him on an anti histamine like Chlorphenramine 2mg every 12 hours. Or, Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5mg every 24 hours. You can buy these over the counter in any chemist.

2- Open the hot water in your bathroom and allow him to breath the vapor/steam for 2-3 minutes a couple of times a day. The steam will help clearn his nasal passages. Make sure he has a cool room to go to immediately after the steaming.

3- If no significant improvement after doing the above I would have him checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter