Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi, I have a 2.5 year old Cavalier King Charles, Napoleon. Last

Customer Question

I have a 2.5 year old Cavalier King Charles, Napoleon.
Last July he began itching his paws, licking the air, carpets and our clothes, so much so he eventually caused a hotspot on his front paw.
I took him to the vets and they gave him anti-biotics which didn't help.
He spent most of July and August wearing boots and a cone until it passed and his hotspot healed.
Last weekend this has started again and he has already made a red patch on his shin.
We are again putting him in socks and a cone to prevent further damage.
We are convinced its a grass allergy as we took him out at the weekend and as soon as we got on the grass he began to sneeze.
We have invested in Piriton and he has been on this since Saturday, so far it doesn't appear to be soothing the itching - he is like a dog possessed and it's awful to watch.
Is there anything you can recommend?
We have tried oatmeal shampoo also but that has little or no effect.
Many Thanks
Kelly
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?
2- How many milligrams of Piriton are you giving and how often?
3- Can you rub both of his ears (floppy part) against each other somewhat hard for 5-10 seconds and see if this will make his back leg move as if he wanted to scratch?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.