Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my staff has lost most controll of his bottom side lips,he

Customer Question

my staff has lost most controll of his bottom side lips,he has trouble eating and drinking and,evry couple of miniutes i have to wipe his mouth as he,repetably dribbles, his eyes are wartering constantly,and his jaw shakes from time to time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sox.
My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Your description of losing control of lips, eating and drinking, watery eyes and drooling and shaking sound like a problem of the nerves to his face. This could be caused by anything that is affecting those nerves: ear infection, trauma, an inflammatory condition of the nervous system, a brain tumor (which would be unlikely in a dog only 6 years old), or a parasitic disease of the brain and nervous system.
If he were my dog, I would begin by looking into the ears for an infection. If the inside of the ears and the ear drums appear normal, then I would take an Xray to check the inner ear area of the skull.
Basic blood tests to check for indications of infection or inflammation is also something I would do.
If that was all normal, my next step would be a consult with a veterinary neurologist.
If Metacam/meloxicam did not help, then you might try a course of steroids like prednisone or dexamethasone. If that did not help, then seeing a specialist like a neurologist would be my next step.
I am sorry he has this possibly serious condition. Please let me know what other questions you have.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Michael,
How is Sox?
Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your feedback, i have now again been to a vet and she is saying the same thing about a nerve in between his ears,he has been prescribed a course of anti inflamatry tablets for 10 days then i am to take him back for further examination.

Thank you regards ***** ***** sox

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, or answer.
Kindly consider rating my answer, but only when all your questions have been answered.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca