Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

The night before last I was massaging a client using the same

The night before last I was massaging a client using the same cd I always used Rascal our dog started barking my partner thought there was someone at the door but it was no one then half hour into treatment Rascal came into room and faced the wall and half sitting just looked at the wall after a while he left the room when I finished the massage I went downstairs and Rascal wouldn't come near me when I went to touch him he trembled I gave him some fuss as normally we are inseparable , when I came back from work yesterday he greeted me and then he cowered away like I'd hurt him later last night I coaxed him onto my lap but he was trembling again I kept stroking him and calmed him down but he moved away from normally rascal is like my shadow he's a loving dog I don't know of any reason for this change in his behaviour
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't addressed in a timely manner. There are very few vets with advanced training in canine behavior on the UK site. My answer needs to be necessarily nonspecific because addressing anxiety - which should be our primary focus in Rascal - usually requires my on-site evaluation.

Increasing anxiety is a relatively common complaint of owners as their dogs age. Increasing sensitivity to stimuli (noise, odor, e.g), increasing fear (with or without aggression) of unfamiliar pets and people, increased irritability and decreased tolerance of handling and restraint, increased following and desire for contact and conversely, aloofness, and increasing anxiety during owenr departures are some of the more common concerns. In the older dog, we also need to be concerned with medical problems that affect central nervous system function including cognitive dysfunction, decreased sensory acuity, endocrine imbalances (hypothyroidism, Cushing's disease, e.g.), painful conditions such as arthritis and dental disease. The owner's response to the pet than further molds the behavior. Owner anxiety, frustration, or distress over the pet's behavior may further add to the pet's anxiety, while giving attention ot the pet (perhaps in an attempt to calm it down) may reinforce the behavior. Noise sensitivity, perhaps related to hearing loss, may lead to increased anxiety and vocalization in some dogs.

There's no reason to seek consult with a veterinary behaviorist if Rascal normalizes shortly. We might conjecture some short-lived stimulus in his environement unerlied his change in behavior. If his behavior exacerbates, however, or if symptoms of a medical disorder arise, it would be prudent to seek consul initially with his vet and then by a behaviorist if his vet can find nothing untoward. I regret that I can't be more specific for you. Rascal presents as a case in need of a hands-on examination.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rascal returned to normal behaviour the next day thank u for your advice
I never argue with success. Thank you for the good update.

Please disregard the info request.