Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog just ingested topiramate 25mg (anti seizure medication),

my dog just ingested topiramate 25mg (anti seizure medication), what can it do to my dog?
my dog is a 4 year old golden retriever.
thank you!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does Mia weigh?
2- How long has it been since she took the pill?
3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
4- How many tablets did she ingest?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mia is on the 30kg mark ,it was one dosage (25mg) sprinkle form, it was in my sons food which he gave to her, i do not have hydrogen peroxide, it happened 20 minutes ago.

thank you

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Clare, 25mg of Topiramate is not going to be toxic to a 30kg Mia. This dose based on her weight comes out to:0.8mg/kg. The therapeutic dose for dogs is between 5-10mg/kg every 12 hours. So, the dose she ingested is even below the therapeutic dose. No symptoms expected, Mia is going to be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter