Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi my 12 week old puppy retriever has some little skin coloured

Hi my 12 week old puppy retriever has some little skin coloured slight bumps on her belly. They don't bother her . thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How big are the bumps?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Does she have many or just 1 or 2?
4- Can you describe the appearance?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They are about 6mm some are longer. Been there a week. They are lighter than other skin and raised a little. Pinkish. Maybe 40 50 in number . rash like?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Does she go out door and lay on the grass?
2- Is she licking this area?
3- Is she licking this area?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for repeating the same question twice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she lays on grass a fair bit and licks but only 2-3 times a day

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Phillip, what you are describing is consistent with either an allergic contact dermaititis, less likely insect bites. This is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the area or the medication below. If necessary pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy (chemist) "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical cortisone cream. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy this cream over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

4- Avoid grass until bumps are all gone.

5- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter