Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our 4 year old labrador has a small bald patch near her tail.

Our 4 year old labrador has a small bald patch near her tail. She is regularly de flea'd.
Could this be an alergy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has she been licking or gnawing at this area?
2- Any abnormality in the skin like redness, flaky, crusty, etc. in that area?
3- How long has this been going on?
4- Have you checked for fleas? If so, does she have any?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, she has been licking and gnawing at the area.

Can't detect any redness etc

She had it a few months back, but it went away, and now its back.

Not aware of any fleas. Hard to tell as she is black.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sandy, what you are describing can be caused by localized infections (bacterias or fungal). It can also be brought upon by fleas. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- To check for fleas you can comb her and look for the fleas or flea dirt within the hair left on the comb. Continue to use Frontline once a month. If you do find fleas, in addition to the frontline add capstar pills giving once a day every other day for 2 weeks.

5- If no significant improvement after doing the above follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter