Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

limping on front leg yorkshire terrier no obivous fall jnothing

Customer Question

limping on front leg yorkshire terrier no obivous fall jnothing in paw looks like joint any pain relieve
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

How long has leila had this problem?

Customer:

since yesterday

Scott Nimmo :

Ok that's fine ...

Scott Nimmo :

Soft tissue injuries such as strains or sprains are very common in the dog and often cause limping. Many of them will resolve in a couple of days with complete rest and an anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin.

Scott Nimmo :

On a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other human over the counter anti-inflammatory / painkillers, and this drug is sometimes prescribed in the dog for soft tissue injuries such as strains or sprains.

Scott Nimmo :

A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

Customer:

thats good to no she is a very active dog so trying to keep her still is murder thank u for your help

Scott Nimmo :

Of course part of the treatment would also be two or three days complete rest and then a gradual return to exercise.

Scott Nimmo :

Of course if your dog does not quickly improve or you become further concerned you should then seek immediate hands on veterinary help.

Customer:

ok will do tyvm x