Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 11 year old cocker spaniel has started barking around 4am

My 11 year old cocker spaniel has started barking around 4am to go out for a pee.
Is there anything I can do to stop this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

The first thing to do is to make sure that there is no underlying health problem going on. Perhaps a chronic urinary tract infection or stones in the bladder, something like that. I know this may mean a trip to the vet but this is a point you do not want to miss ...

Scott Nimmo :

It would be good to take a small urine sample with you which the vet can quickly check out with a stick test ...

Scott Nimmo :

If he then gets a clean bill of health then you could be dealing with some form of behavioral problem, this can occur in older dogs

Scott Nimmo :

In these cases you might also consider Melatonin, this has been used to help sleep patterns in pets that are very active at night and not sleeping at the right time. This can sometimes occur in older dogs ( sundowner syndrome ) Basically it helps re-sets the animal’s biological clock.

Scott Nimmo :

You can read more about Melatonin here ... : LINK

Scott Nimmo :

The above is a reasonable first line approach ....

Scott Nimmo :

Can I help you further with this problem ? ...