Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

We have received a call for advice regarding a puppy born with

Customer Question

We have received a call for advice regarding a puppy born with no toes ,just pads on one of its feet. We have bred this breed for 40 years and have never experienced it. Is this a condition that is congenital or hereditary ? The breed involved is Tibetan Terriers.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. I have never heard of this either. . .in any breed, and I expect this is congenital. . .perhaps uterine crowding.

Dr. Barbara :

I have just completed a search also on our Veterinary Information Network, and found no genetic issues for this little pups lack of toes on one foot.

Thank you so much for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!
I hope this little pup is cared for well. As long as it has pads, then it should be able to get along well without damaging the foot.
Do you know the outcome?
Thanks,
Dr. Barbara