Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

We recently got the runt of a litter of pups and we brought

Customer Question

We recently got the runt of a litter of pups and we brought him to the VET. He has had his injections and he also gave him a worm dose. He has bright red blood in his stools which are soft and at times runny. What is the problem and what can we do for him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This sounds terribly concerning for Benny. The top three problems that could cause him to have loose, bloody stools would be a viral infection (parvovirus in particular, even if vaccinated once since this require a series of 3 to 4 before we can consider him protected) or severe intestinal worms (perhaps one not previously treated for) or ingestion of an unusual item or food that has upset his system.

Since parvovirus can be life-threatening, if not diagnosed early, I must recommend you have Benny seen as soon as possible; at this age bloody stool is considered an emergency. So, if you have an emergency facility nearby to run him in this weekend, I highly recommend the visit.

Dr. Joey :

Until you have him seen (which I hope is soon), you should make sure he is drinking since hydration is a huge concern at this age. If he is vomiting as well then this make the viral infection more likely and any therapy at home virtually impossible since he cannot keep the medcation/food/water down. You can offer him an electrolyte solution as formulated for babies or children (unflavored is preferable). You can also offer him some people baby food (chicken pureed vareity is best) to tempt him to eat. At this age I am reluctant to recommend any over-the-counter medications since they are quite sensitive to drugs. He really needs prescription medication from your vet to help him get through this.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.