Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

good morning i wonder if you can help my 7 yr old collie has

good morning i wonder if you can help my 7 yr old collie has terrible itching , i have gone through all the usual things , i have ordered some salmon oil as an extra supplement but just wonder if there is a quicker fix poor thing its driving him round the bend , my other collie cross is doing light scratching nothing out of the ordinary , is hay fever the problem ? thanks
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you seeing any abnormality in the skin like redness, flaky, crusty, etc.?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Is he on any medications?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello peter in reply to your questions there is no abnormality in berties skin atall , this has been going on 10 -14 days as imentioned i have done all the usual things associated with scratching , he weighs approx 26kilos he is not on or been on any existing medications he is a very healthy dog , did i mention the possibility of some form of allergic reaction to pollen & grass seeds etc ? fellow dog walkers had mentioned this known only too well as "dog hay fever" hope you can suggest something thanks

Jim, it is very possible the itching could be seasonal allergies. There are many other possible causes like food allergies, infections, etc. This is what you can try:

1- Start him on Zyrtec (cetirizine) 10mg every 12 or 24 hours. You can buy Zyrtec over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- Continue supplementing with fish oil.
3- If no significant improvement in 1-2 days of starting the zyrtec I would have him checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Consider doing a food trial for 6-8 weeks with a hypoallergenic diet like Hill z/d.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter