Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

good morning i wonder if you can help my 7 yr old collie has

good morning i wonder if you can help my 7 yr old collie has terrible itching , i have gone through all the usual things , i have ordered some salmon oil as an extra supplement but just wonder if there is a quicker fix poor thing its driving him round the bend , my other collie cross is doing light scratching nothing out of the ordinary , is hay fever the problem ? thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you seeing any abnormality in the skin like redness, flaky, crusty, etc.?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Is he on any medications?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello peter in reply to your questions there is no abnormality in berties skin atall , this has been going on 10 -14 days as imentioned i have done all the usual things associated with scratching , he weighs approx 26kilos he is not on or been on any existing medications he is a very healthy dog , did i mention the possibility of some form of allergic reaction to pollen & grass seeds etc ? fellow dog walkers had mentioned this known only too well as "dog hay fever" hope you can suggest something thanks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jim, it is very possible the itching could be seasonal allergies. There are many other possible causes like food allergies, infections, etc. This is what you can try:

1- Start him on Zyrtec (cetirizine) 10mg every 12 or 24 hours. You can buy Zyrtec over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- Continue supplementing with fish oil.
3- If no significant improvement in 1-2 days of starting the zyrtec I would have him checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Consider doing a food trial for 6-8 weeks with a hypoallergenic diet like Hill z/d.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter