Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We have a 12 week old vizsla puppy who has been unable to weight

Customer Question

We have a 12 week old vizsla puppy who has been unable to weight bear for 3 weeks now. She has had x rays, an mri scan,blood tests and they can find nothing wrong with her and are at a loss. She started on steroids yesterday and this morning an hour after she had a tablet has been crying out with pain. We are at our wits end as they can't find whats wrong with her and its so sad to see her so unhappy today. Before she started the steroids she haas happy rolling around and crawling around. Can you give us any advice?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear about Sky. She sounds so painful, and you sound so worried.
My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
When you say she is unable to bear weight, is it just on one leg she can't bear weight? Or is she not walking at all, unable to bear weight at all?
What body part did the MRI scan? Brain, spinal cord, one particular joint or leg?
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She can not stand up without assistance. Her back legs are weaker than her front. She hasn't been able to walk for nearly 3 weeks but will crawl. She has had an MRI on all of her spine and they say there is nothing wrong
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Catharine,
Thank you for the additional information.
Did they do a spinal tap?
Does she have a fever at all?
If she did not have a spinal tap, to microscopically examine the fluid in the spinal cord for things like infection or parasites or inflammation, that would be my next step.
If that was done, I would ask the breeder about the other puppies in the litter, if any of then are having problems, in case this is some genetic disorder. There are genetic diseases, called "storage diseases" that can present as weakness in the hind end of young dogs and puppies.
It can be hard to identify storage diseases, you have to send urine and blood to a lab that does the tests. Here in the US there are only 2 or 3 veterinary schools that do this testing. You could ask your veterinarian or specialist to refer you and Sky, or send samples to a vet school there, to see specialists or have testing done.
I can't find that Viszlas are affected by congenital/genetic disease that would look like this, but since you have had an MRI, consulting with specialists and ruling out genetic disease is where I would begin. If you have not been to a specialty center or veterinary teaching hospital, that might be your next best move. Possibly your vet could consult with neurologists at such a place for you, to begin.
Sad case. Is she any better since stopping the steroids?
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Rebecca