Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We put our beloved dog down last night after a very traumatic

We put our beloved dog down last night after a very traumatic night with him. The vet yesterday said he had a stroke and gave him steroids and to bring him back in mornin but has night progressed he got a millions times worse. He could not walk, breathin very laboured. He could not settle in any way and all nigjt his eyes were wide open with a funny glaze. He also did no know who we were or what we were and towards the end i felt he was going to die in my arms. It was very distressin so we eang our vet and told, he said he would meet us straight away. There was a lot of sudden jumps and after these jumps he just aeemed to go downhill. Were they more strokes in your opinion? Our vet looked into his eye and said his eyes were movin down and that he was maybe havin a hemmorhege. I suppose we are just lookin for some more answers. He was14
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

So sorry to hear about your dog, I know this has been very upsetting for you ....

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me : Was he is good health prior to this episode? And when did these symptoms start?

Customer:

Hi scot first off we had tests done at christmas and we were told he kidney failure and he on dog his age it was not a good sign however he gave us reniol diet food and he mada an approvement and was in good form in general. Last tues he stopped eatin and we tried to give him his favorite food and he wouldnt eat that, sleepin heavily not himself in general. .On sat he vomitted and while asleep was havin spasms

Scott Nimmo :

Thanks for that, It looks like Cooper had multiple existing health problems and of course was in the geriatric portion of his life, it is very possible that this would have contributed to an initial stroke, what you saw { The sudden little jumps } could have been further strokes or it could have just been symptomatic of the body shutting down. This is open to debate, but what is not open to debate is that clearly you did the right thing by Cooper.

Customer:

On sun when he got up he was completly disorientated. This included walkin around in circles not knowin his sense of direction. Back legs all sloppy. Brought him to vet immediately. Vet suspected a mild stroke. Took his bloods and gave steroids. Vet told us to come back in mornin to put him on a drip

Scott Nimmo :

From what you have told me so far I doubt if much could have been done to help Cooper, I know this is no consolation but at 14 years of age he was equivalent to a person of ninety ...

Scott Nimmo :

What your vet told you was more or less along the lines of what I have told clients myself whose dogs were in much the same situation over the years ...

Customer:

As night progressed cooper really started to go down hill. He could barely drink water and really unable to walk, would nt close his eyes(completly diorintated) not recognizin us and b and breathin heavily through his nose and those jumps. Do you think he wad dyin and was he uncomfortable? Did we do the right thing

Scott Nimmo :

When dogs get older what you went through is a situation many of us have to face up to, I know this is not easy for you but if Cooper had been my dog and got to that stage I think I would have quietly put him to sleep rather than let things drag on to an inevitable end ...

Customer:

I suppose what we really want to know that while all this was going on was he already gone and not gettin comfort from us.

Scott Nimmo :

It sounds to that when he was in his last hours he would have been well out of it and unaware of what was going on, this is often the case with strokes ...

Customer:

And in pain? Athough he was not cryin or wimpering

Scott Nimmo :

These dogs are rarely in sharp pain as in say toothache, as the brain is affected they will be often be lethargic and incoordinated, spaced out really and unaware of their surroundings ...

Customer:

So do you think on some level he knew we were there or was he alone and stressed going through those final hours

Scott Nimmo :

I will be honest with you, usually these dogs are just out of it and would be probably unaware of you and what was going on, but in a way nature is kind here, these dogs are so " out of it " that they do not suffer because they are in such a daze ...

Customer:

Ok thank you. We just loved him and are heartbroken and just needed to hear that we the right thing on some level

Scott Nimmo :

You sought prompt veterinary care when you needed to, you stood by Cooper 100% ... I know there was not a good outcome, but that's life when we get older, man or dog ...

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }