Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 2 year old ***** ***** dog who has tonight become

I have a 2 year old ***** ***** dog who has tonight become rather ill. He passed 4 stools on his walk and now wants to pass stools every 30 minutes or so. His rectrum and anus are now very sore. The last stools were like gel, but no blood.
He did vomit up his dinner, returned to the food ate it again and was sick within 30 minutes.
He is sitting in the garden clearly in discomfort.
Should I take him to the emergency vet or I am I over reacting.
Nigel
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His gums are pale and he is lethargic.

He weighs 8 kg's

God knows he has been in the garden, I have tried to see, but nothing.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Nigel, the mucus you are seeing is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). The straining and vomiting is secondary to the inflammation. Having pale gums is Not a good sign, it suggest poor circulation to the tissue, decrease cardiac output or blood pressure, etc. Possible causes for these symptoms are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc.
I would recommend you do not wait and have him checked by ER veterinarian. Having pale gums is not a good sign and often can have a fatal outcome if underlying cause is not identified, treated and corrected. In the meantime, remove the food and water until he is seen by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ta were gone.

XX

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome. Please keep me posted.

Dr. Peter