Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I removed a tick from my dogs head about 5 weeks ago, she has

Customer Question

I removed a tick from my dogs head about 5 weeks ago, she has got quite a large grey black scab that I thought would fall of, but it seems to be getting bigger, last night she was terribly sick and iv notice little lumps in clusters all under skin on top of her head around and near where the scab is. Please help!

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Roxy. There are two considerations. The first is that that scab and clusters of lumps represents an infected foreign body reaction due to the presence of tick parts remaining in her skin (or simply an infected bite). The second is that you're seeing a localized infection due to a tick-borne agent such as the rickettsiae Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, or the bacteria Borrelia (Lyme).

The proper manner in which to proceed is to have the affected skin debrided (dead skin removed, pus flushed away, e.g.), tick-borne infection tests performed (an in-house Idexx SNAP test can give you an answer in 10 minutes), and the broad spectrum doxycycline prescribed which would address a common skin infection as well as the tick-borne infections.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could this lyme have serious consequences. As I have heard about it, I thought that it only came from country's such as Canada

Lyme is being recognized more and more in the UK lately. Please see here: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Yes, Lyme can be devastating. It often starts with a "bulls-eye" skin lesion, fever and lameness within 2-4 weeks but can also cause serious kidney disease in dogs and in later stages, central nervous system symptoms such as seizure.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Roxy has been very active and happy right up till last night, then the vomiting started it was about 5 weeks ago I removed the body of tick but not the mouth can it take this long to manafest? Also do I take her to vets for this test and is it very expensive?

Yes, symptoms can arise after many weeks or months if Lyme is present. Yes, her vet needs only a few drops of blood for the in-house test. I can't know what you'll be charged, however, so always ask for a written estimate before anything is done. I would think the test might cost 20-30 pounds?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you ever so much for your help I will get roxy to vets this morning.Smile

Sounds good. You're quite welcome.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.Smile

It's my pleasure. Speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Roxy, please?