Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

My Irish setter is in a cycle of going off his food ( NO MORNING

My Irish setter is in a cycle of going off his food ( NO MORNING FEED FOR NEARLY TWO WEEKS, but 2nd meal taken at night ) then he brings up a large amount of bile. His motions are fairly normal and although he is subdued most of the time when out he behaves as if nothing is amiss. This problem was previously put down to taking Metacam for arthritis in a back leg ( HE IS 7YRS ) and a blood test for liver was almost normal, but I have stopped the Metacam now for nearly two months and feel that something else is going on. He is on Eukanuba food for Seniors.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your problem with your Irish setter (name?). Dogs can experience upset stomachs when their upper digestive tracts (stomach and small intestine) are empty. This upset can stimulate the vomiting of bile when the stomach contains no food. Judging from the excellent history you've provided, it sounds like the Metacam may have caused an gastric irritation that has persisted, despite the cessation of medication. I would recommend giving him an anti-nausea medication like Pepto Bismol (liquid - one tablespoon per thirty pounds or chewable tablets - one tablet (crushed in a small amount of food) per thirty pounds) last thing at night, or first thing in the morning, to settle his stomach and help prevent the bile vomiting. Another approach with Pepto Bismol would be to give it 30 minutes before suppertime and try feeding him then. I understand that Pepto Bismol, a non-prescription product is somewhat difficult to find in the U.K., which is unfortunate as it is an excellent and safe medication in both people and dogs, but you can buy it at the discretion of the pharmacists here: http://www.boots.com/en/Pepto-Bismol-24-Chewable-Peppermint-Tablets_40155/
If he'll eat for you in the evening, the food itself can help prevent the morning vomiting. Another medication like Prolosec may be used it Pepto Bismol is not effective or not available, but you should consult your veterinarian before trying Prilosec. If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards, *****