Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

what treatment is there for our eleven year old dog suffering

what treatment is there for our eleven year old dog suffering from anemia ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Besides the anemia any other pre existing medical conditions?
2- Did your vet tell you the cause for the anemia?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The answer to number is ***** is no.

The answer to number two is also no.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
John, as you may already know anemia is a decrease in red blood cells. There are many different causes for anemia. The treatment is tailored at the specific cause. For example, if the anemia is caused by iron deficiency then the patient should be treated with iron supplement. Another possibility is the anemia being caused by an auto immune process where the body itself destroys the red blood cells, then the patient is treated with corticosteroids. So, there is no treatment that will treat all types of anemia. Again, treatment is treating the exact underlying cause. I would recommend you discuss with your vet about the possible cause for Holly's anemia and start from there. Your vet may need to do additional testing to determine the exact underlying cause.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter