Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has small crusty scabs on his chest, should I take him

Customer Question

My dog has small crusty scabs on his chest, should I take him to the vets?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he itchy?
2- Is it localized in one small area or spread all over?
3- Is he licking the area?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not itchy or licking, and has maybe 6 small scabs spread on his chest.They look a bit like ecsmar- sorry not sure how you spell that.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Amy, what you are describing is consistent with a localized bacterial infection. This is what you can do:

1- Do not let him lick the lesions or medication below. If he does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days or if the lesions begin to spread I would have him examined by family veterinarian he may need oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry can u get the antibiotic cream from a pharmacy

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you can buy it over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lady at boots said u need a prescription. Maybe I'll have to go to the vets after all.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Can you look what they have over the counter for topical antibiotics? Tell me the active ingredients and I will tell you if you can use it. Thanks.

Dr. Peter