Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 12year old male springer spaniel[28 kgs] is beginning to

Customer Question

My 12year old male springer spaniel[28 kgs] is beginning to wobble and loosing appetite. He does not like putting his left rear leg on the floor . He whimpers a bit and has lost his appetite. I have had a previous male dog who began similar symptoms we put to sleep rather than let him suffer about 15 years ago. Our current dog is in good condition and has been a wonderful loyal pet
Last thing is for Max to suffer Rgds John Kerr
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
While these are important symptoms, they don't localize Max's disorder and so prognosticating is difficult. Is Max's wobbling an ataxia ("drunken sailor") which would indicate either an encephalopathy (brain disorder) or myelopathy (spinal cord disorder), or is he unstable because he's having a problem using his left rear leg which could indicate a problem with the leg itself (osteoarthritis, cancer, e.g.) or myelopathy?

The proper manner in which to proceed is to have X-rays taken of that leg and his spine. I understand that this might be to gain a prognosis only because surgery isn't likely to be recommended at his age and so we're left with conservative care which does involve a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam (Metacam) and a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol. If osteoarthritis were found, adding fish oil to his diet at a dose of 40mg/kg daily of the EPA in the fish oil product might be of value.

I'm concerned that he's now whimpering and inappetant - both of which indicate pain and adding tramadol to his current therapeutic regimen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.