Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over ten years experience in routine and critical care; experience with show dogs, working, agility.
21470562

My dog a five year old cocker spaniel is post surgery 5 weeks

My dog a five year old cocker spaniel is post surgery 5 weeks he had broken his front leg elbow a y fracture he's done really well we have done everything vet advised cage rest etc, he puts weight on his leg limps well ! HE moved quickly to grab a toy and yelped , do you think hes damaged hes leg again he has put down since he done it but is also holding it up quite alot .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Gwen :

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to answer your questions and help Charlie today. Is he taking any medications at the moment?

Dr. Gwen :

It appears you may not be online at the moment. I will post more information and then switch to the Q&A format.
As the surgery is 5 weeks out, there has likely been very good bone healing. The yelping Charlie did may be due to stretching of the muscles and ligaments that have been fairly inactive during this healing process, but may be due to more serious injury to the area. It sounds less likely that he has caused a fracture again, but the only sure way to tell this would be to have your veterinarian examine him and take a radiograph. The best thing that you can do for him right now, is confine him to a small space or cage that is padded, and enforce rest. You can try applying a cool compress to the area for just a few minutes as well. Keep him confined and inactive until your surgeon is able to assess him and make sure no damage has been done to the surgical site. Good luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou charlie is not on any medication and I like said he's being doing really well so you think there should be some bone healing at 5 weeks post op