Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

We took our 14 yr old dog to the vet yesterday, shes not eaten

Customer Question

We took our 14 yr old dog to the vet yesterday, she's not eaten for 2 days although she did eat a little chicken and rice but today again she's eaten nothing so can't get the tablets we were given down her. The vet said she had a fever but she keeps flinching (as if she was expecting to get hit - which she never has been!). She's definitely not well and she seems to have gone deaf, she doesn't react when we speak/call her and she doesn't hear the door. The vet gave us anti biopics and pain killer for her arthritis. Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This sounds extremely concerning. I suspect the fever is causing her to be quite lethargic and unwilling to eat. When a dog is deteriorating such as this it is an indication that she needs to be seen on emergency today, if that is possible for evaluation to see if she needs some intravenous fluid therapy. IV fluids can really aid in a fever and allow us to get the antibiotic into her.

Dr. Joey :

At home you are probably doing all that you can, but the frustration is that she is so ill she will not eat anything, and therefore we cannot get her medications into her. If you are unable to have her seen then all you can do is your best to tempt her to eat and then try to actually give her pills rather than hide them in food (but please do not get hurt doing this).

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.