Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

hi mate french mastiff has had the run since last night,ive

hi mate french mastiff has had the run since last night,ive bought some diarrhea tablets this morning and gave him two,he has still got his appetite and is very lively like always.his diet has stayed the same but i was walking him to the chip shop on friday and whilst i was in the shop a lady fed him a sausage when he was outside so im not to sure if the sausage has caused this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting?
2- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

no vomiting and no other symptoms,just the diarrhea

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Daniel, it is very possible the diarrhea was caused by him eating the sausage. Other possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter