Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I am worried about accidental poising of my dog with difenacoum

I am worried about accidental poising of my dog with difenacoum (rat poison). How much difenacoum do you need to injure a dog?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup may have ingested some Difenacoum. This rat poison interferes with clotting ability and can cause severe bleeding into the abdomen, lungs and chest cavity, urinary tract and even the brain. Symptoms will take 2 to 10 days to develop.
The lowest observed effect level in dogs (LOAEL) is 0.01 mg/kg/day based on changes in seen with blood coagulation.
That is a pretty small amount, so if she ingested any I would recommend inducing vomiting immediately.
You can give her 1 tablespoon or 15mls of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 5 kilograms of body weight soaked up with bread chunks (no more than 3 tablespoons even if she weighs more than 20 kilograms).
Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.
If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pieces of rat poison are present.
If you don't have peroxide it is best to have vomiting induced at a veterinary clinic immediately. They can also give activated charcoal to bind any left over toxin and start vitamin K-1 if they believe it necessary.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.