How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16751
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now

I am worried about accidental poising of my dog with difenacoum

Resolved Question:

I am worried about accidental poising of my dog with difenacoum (rat poison). How much difenacoum do you need to injure a dog?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup may have ingested some Difenacoum. This rat poison interferes with clotting ability and can cause severe bleeding into the abdomen, lungs and chest cavity, urinary tract and even the brain. Symptoms will take 2 to 10 days to develop.
The lowest observed effect level in dogs (LOAEL) is 0.01 mg/kg/day based on changes in seen with blood coagulation.
That is a pretty small amount, so if she ingested any I would recommend inducing vomiting immediately.
You can give her 1 tablespoon or 15mls of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 5 kilograms of body weight soaked up with bread chunks (no more than 3 tablespoons even if she weighs more than 20 kilograms).
Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.
If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pieces of rat poison are present.
If you don't have peroxide it is best to have vomiting induced at a veterinary clinic immediately. They can also give activated charcoal to bind any left over toxin and start vitamin K-1 if they believe it necessary.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you